kiki mitt kat

kiki mitt kat
Blimey!...Look what lovely surprises are waiting for me!

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Almost as good as the real King?

I'm back on track after a bit of an absence which I don't intend to happen again!
Normal service is now resumed...

Those of you who are close to me know of my fascination with Ancient Egypt - those who don't know me, now do!
Many years ago, I had the honour of visiting Luxor, travelling the Nile, the Valley of the Kings, the Pyramids, Cairo Museum and more temples than you can shake a stick at.  Unfortunately, after seven rolls of film (I did say it was a while ago) and a crisis later, the only thing I have to remember about that extraordinary place are memories. 
So when Manchester Museum of Museums announced Tutankhamun: His Tomb and His Treasures exhibition, I jumped at the chance and booked my ticket as soon as I could.
Now, I knew that the real Tut artifacts were over the pond in the America at the time and was curious as to what 'wonderful things' were in store for me here.
I was also a little apprehensive as I had seen the original golden treasures, statues, coffins on my trip to Egypt and so knew exactly what the standard was about ... I also had an image of Blue Peter in my head - egg boxes and sticky-back plastic - which made me even more intrigued. 
What a splendid surprise!
Not only has everything been made exactly to scale and the same shiny quality to the originals, it is also displayed in such a way that you can imagine being in the tomb with it all in situ - the articles up front and personal. 
I remember these objects on show at the Museum in Cairo behind thick glass and alarmed!

The individual headsets for the commentary also allows you to go at your own pace and disappear into this other world for a few riveting hours.
I say, 'a few hours' because that is the amount of time I spent there without even realising it ...
And so,
if you ask me my opinion, this is one of the best displays that I have seen and would recommend it to anyone with even the vaguest interest in Egyptology. 
It is well worth the entrance fee and in some ways, better than the real thing simply because there are no barriers between you and the past ...
If you get the chance ... Go see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment