kiki mitt kat

kiki mitt kat
Blimey!...Look what lovely surprises are waiting for me!

Wednesday 29 February 2012

RIP Davy Jones

There are times when we are not completely surprised when someone famous passes away.
Tonight, when I heard that Davy Jones had died, I felt numb and that a part of my childhood had died too.
 
I remember, when I was in my early teens, he came back to visit his hometown of Manchester.  This was reported in the local paper - the Manchester Evening News.  I was so excited that he was this close that I decided to take action to meet him. 
I had a lot of guts back then and remember calling up the newspaper so that I could speak to the journalist who had written the story - I used up all my change at the red telephone box near my house to get through to the news desk. 
But I managed it! 
Only to find out that I had just missed the man of my dreams - Davy Jones had gone back to the States.
Total devastation!
The journalist offered to forward any letter if I wanted to send it via himself. 

I wrote and wished and hoped.

I couldn't believe it when a short time later a hand written envelope was posted through the door.
Inside was a picture of Davy Jones himself - A black and white photograph of him riding a horse through a wooded park and smiling at the camera.
On the front of it he had signed it in blue/black ink.

'To Krysia,
With love,
David Jones'

I was made up!

I was one of a million spotty, infatuated kids who had a crush on the cute chap in a band
but he cared enough to bother.

It's a sad, sad day today :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment